What is a Heat Pump?
Heat pumps have been available for several years, but are only recently gaining popularity in the world of domestic heating within Southampton. This is partly because of the continuous development in technology, and also due to increased government backing through grants such as Green Deal and the Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI).
There are 2 popular types of air source heat pump:
– Air source
– Ground Source
Both types operate on the same principle, but as the name suggests, extract their energy from different sources. There are other types of heat pump (such as water source) but these are far less common.
What are the Benefits of Air Source Heat Pumps?
Reduced Fuel Bills
Depending on your current heating fuel source, installing an air source heat pump could reduce your heating energy bills. Typically, the largest savings are seen when replacing oil, LPG (common in more rural areas of Southampton), electric, or old/inefficient natural gas boilers.
Reduced Carbon Emissions
Air Source Heat Pumps do not burn fossil fuels and are powered solely by electricity. As a result, switching to an air source heat pump can drastically reduce your home’s carbon emissions, especially when coupled with a ‘green’ energy tarriff.
An inspection is required every 12 months in order to ensure the heat pump is operating correctly, and to maintain the relevant guarantees . This is unlike a gas or oil boiler service which is more honerous. Cinergi can offer maintenance contracts for the Southampton area.
Easier To Install
Air Source Heat Pumps are easier to install than ground source heat pumps, and provide less disruption to the occupiers. A typical installation generally takes between 2 to 5 days, depending on the amount of work and adaptions required to the property.
What is RHI?
The Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) is a government scheme that provides payments for the generation of heat from renewable energy sources – Air Source Heat Pumps being one of these. Payments are calculated by the heat generation output of the installation which is either taken from your EPC (Energy Performance Certificate) or metered via an MID approved heat meter.
RHI is not capped financially, but has an energy cap of 20,000kWh for Air Source Heat Pumps, and 30,000kWh for Ground Source Heat Pumps.
Air Source Heat Pump Example (maximum):
- Energy rating on EPC: 20,000kWh
- SCOP of heat pump: 3.85
- RHI payments per year: £1,606.00
- Total RHI over 7 years (CPI linked at 2.3%): £12,050.85
GroundSource Heat Pump Example (maximum):
- Energy rating on EPC: 30,000kWh
- SCOP of heat pump: 3.85
- RHI payments per year: £2,410.00
- Total RHI over 7 years (CPI linked at 2.3%): £18,076.28
What is the Process?
1. Register your interest by clicking one of the ‘Book your Survey Now’ buttons or calling us on 0800 321 3142.
2. A member of our team will call you, to discuss your current installation, any requirements you may have and to answer any questions at a time that suits you.
3. If you would like to proceed with a site survey and formal propsal then we will proceed to arrange date and time for one of our team to attend. The survey takes no more than an hour, during which we will measure each room in your property and take any additional information that we need to undertake the detailed heat loss calculations (this will include, window dimensions, window type, floor type, type and thickness of loft insulation etc).
4. Once we have all the information we require from your property, we will carry out the detailed heat loss calculations, and select the heat pump that is best suited to you and your property’s needs. This information will be compiled, along with the quotation, and returned to you in approximately 3 days from time of survey.
5. If we haven’t already heard from you, a member of the team will you call a week or so after sending your design information pack, to answer any questions you may have. If you choose to proceed with the proposal then we will arrange for a suitable time and date for the installation to take place (installation usually takes between 3-5 days, depending on the amount of work/adaptions required to the property).
6. Once the installation is complete, a member of our team will provide training on how to operate the new system, and make you aware of any maintenance requirements that are applicable. A handover pack which will be provided which details all necessary information on your system.
7. Aftercare – we appreciate that installing an air source heat pump may be a daunting prospect and as such offer a full aftercare service on all of our installations. Please do not be afraid to give us a call if you have any questions once your system has been installed – we are based in The New Forest, Southampton – we are here to help.
Why is Cinergi the right fit for you?
1. With over 40 years of experience in heating homes and business, Cinergi are the experts when it comes to advising you on your best options.
2. We are unique in that we are accredited and certified to install Gas, LPG & Oil boilers, as well as air source heat pumps. As such, we are in a unique position to offer advice on the best heating solution for your individual circumstances. Want a price for an air source heat pump and a replacement oil boiler? No problem, we can provide you with costs for all of your options.
3. We are local! We are based just inside the New Forest, about 15 minutes from Southampton Centre.
4. Our engineers at Cinergi have been installing air source heat pumps for several years now. Just some of the places we have worked are:
Southampton – Eastleigh – Portsmouth – Winchester – Whiteley – Fareham – Basingstoke – Andover – Romsey – Aldershot – Farnborough- The New Forest – Ringwood
5. We do not use sub-contractors. All of our air source heat pump installations are undertaken by in-house engineers. This ensures that we can closely monitor the level of workmanship and customer service, and ensure it matches our ethos of high standards.
6. We care about our work – we are a customer focussed business and are always on hand to help.
Our Recommended Manufacturers
Here at Cinergi, we do not use a single manufacturer, as a ‘one size fits all’ approach simply does not work in the world of heat pumps. When it comes to choosing the right heat pump for you, there are many factors that we must consider….
Samsung EHS (Generation 6)
Available in Monobloc 5 – 16 kW
The Samsung EHS GEN6 is the latest generation in Samsung’s successful range of MCS accredited air source heat pumps, following the Samsung GEN5.
Quickly becoming the go-to air source heat pump, the Samsung EHS GEN6 comes with excellent technical support combined with a competitive price. Useful for most large and small scale installations.
Available in Monobloc and split 3 – 12 kW
The Vaillant ASHP is relatively new to the market and is available in both monobloc and split variants (aroTHERM and aroTHERM Plus). Vaillant are a well known brand in the world on domestic heating and are set to revolutionise the sector with their sleak, modern aesthetic designs.
Available in Monobloc and split 5 – 14 kW
Mistubishi have been in the ASHP industry for years, and are arguably the most popular manufacturer when it comes to domestic installations.
The Mistubishi range comes in a range of sizes and variants, in outputs ranging from 5kW to 14kW, and are available in both monobloc and split variants.
Available in Monobloc and split 5 – 13 kW
Midea are a relatively new name in the world of air source heat pumps, but have already built a strong reputation. Other manufacturers such as Vaillant use Midea internals within their own units.
Midea units tend to be physically lower and wider, and therefore are a favourite for locations with restricted heigh (such as below windows).
After speaking to several heating engineers we decided to go with Cinergi to upgrade our old back boiler for a new Worcester Bosch combi.
We are so glad with our choice and would recommend Ian to anyone. We are delighted with the service we have received, we were never without hot water and he worked in a professional and friendly manner.
Ian’s quote was clear and itemised so we could see exactly what we were spending our money on and he was able to offer us helpful advice on the best solution for us.
We Chose Cinergi to replace our 17 year old boiler, we contacted Ian at Cinergi through the Bosch Worcester accredited installer website with a few other companies.
We had several other companies attend but they wanted to remove some of my decking to install a soakaway buried in the ground with limestone chippings, Ian was the only one who said there was no need for that to be done – he would install a Sentinel condensafe condensate neutraliser.
Ian was very professional, friendly and knowledgeable i would not hesitate to recommend him his workmanship was fantastic.
Cinergi were able to fit a new boiler at short notice with a more than reasonable quote. Ian arrived as scheduled, was very friendly and knowledgeable and got straight on with the job. His workmanship is excellent plus he takes away the old boiler/rubbish, making sure the job is left tidy. During the installation I presented Ian with a separate bit of work, moving a problematic pipe for an existing radiator. He solved the issue with some clever pipework which he was able to hide leaving a perfect finish.
Overall Ian was brilliant at his job and is obviously very experienced and skilled. I would highly recommend him to anybody and we will definitely be using Cinergi in the future.
Let’s discuss your Southampton Air Source Heat Pump Installation project
We understand that no two jobs are alike, that is why we treat each project uniquely.
If you have an upcoming project, you can get in touch with us at 0800 321 3142, or alternatively, click the button below to arrange a callback from one of our team at a time that suits you.