What is a Heat Pump?
Although heat pumps have been available for use for many years, it is only recently that they have become a popular domestic heating solution in Arundel. This is due to the constant improvements in technology and increased government support via grants such as the Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) and Green Deal. With these grants, one can potentially upgrade their heating at no cost, but we’ll get into that later.
The two major types of heat pump are:
– Air source
– Ground Source
These two work on the same principle, but they get their energy from different sources, as the names suggest. Other types of heat pump like water source exist but they are far less common.
What are the Benefits of Air Source Heat Pumps?
Reduced Fuel Bills
Setting up an air source heat pump could lower your heating energy bills, but that depends on your current system. Normally, the biggest savings are seen when replacing oil, LPG (common in more rural areas of Arundel), electric, or old/inefficient natural gas boilers.
Reduced Carbon Emissions
Air Source Heat Pumps are powered solely by electricity and do not burn fossil fuels. So, changing to an air source heat pump can considerably decrease your property’s carbon emissions, especially when linked with the ‘green’ energy tariff.
Every year, an inspection is needed to make sure the heat pump is running properly, with the highest efficiency, and to maintain the relevant guarantees. This differs from a gas or oil boiler which is more troublesome.
Easier To Install
Compared to ground source heat pumps, air source heat pumps are easier to install and offer less disruption to occupants. An installation typically takes between 2 ‐ 5 days, depending on the adaptions required to the property and the amount of work.
What is RHI?
The Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) is a government scheme that provides payments for the generation of heat from renewable energy sources – Air Source Heat Pumps being one of these. Payments are calculated by the heat generation output of the installation which is either taken from your EPC (Energy Performance Certificate) or metered via an MID approved heat meter.
RHI is not capped financially, but has an energy cap of 20,000kWh for Air Source Heat Pumps, and 30,000kWh for Ground Source Heat Pumps.
Air Source Heat Pump Example (maximum):
- Energy rating on EPC: 20,000kWh
- SCOP of heat pump: 3.85
- RHI payments per year: £1,606.00
- Total RHI over 7 years (CPI linked at 2.3%): £12,050.85
GroundSource Heat Pump Example (maximum):
- Energy rating on EPC: 30,000kWh
- SCOP of heat pump: 3.85
- RHI payments per year: £2,410.00
- Total RHI over 7 years (CPI linked at 2.3%): £18,076.28
What is the Process?
1. If you are interested, hit one of the ‘Book your Survey Now’ buttons or give us a call on 0800 321 3142.
2. A team member will contact you to talk about your current installation, any needs you may have, and to respond to any questions, at a time that you deem right.
3.If you wish to continue with a formal proposal and site survey then we will arrange a time and date for one of our team to come over. The survey normally takes around an hour, and during that period we will take measurements of every room in your property and collect any extra information required to conduct detailed heat loss calculations (this will include type and thickness of loft insulation, window type, window dimensions, floor type, etc.).
4. After getting all the information we need from your property, we will do the detailed heat loss calculations, and pick the heat pump that best serves your needs. We will then put together this information, along with the price, and give it back to your about 3 days from the time of the survey.
5. If we have not talked with you yet, a team member will reach out a week or so after submitting your design information pack to respond to any questions you may have. If you decide to go on with the proposal we will arrange the ideal installation date and time (usually, installation lasts 3 to 5 days, depending on the adaptions needed to the property/amount of work.
6. After finishing the installation, a team member will offer training on how to use the new system, and let you know about any relevant maintenance requirements. You will then be given a handover pack that contains all the essential information on your system.
7. Aftercare – Setting up an air source heat pump may look like a daunting task, that’s why we provide a full aftercare service on all the installations made by our engineers. If you have any questions about your new system, do not hesitate to give us a call – we are found in The New Forest, Southampton – we are you to help you.
Why Choose Cinergi?
1. Cinergi has more than 4 decades of experience in heating businesses and homes in the West Sussex area and can advise you on the right options for your unique needs.
2. What makes us unique is that we are professionally-accredited to install Gas, LPG & Oil boilers, and air source heat pumps. Thus, we are better placed to recommend the best heating solution for all our customers. Want to know the cost of an air source heat pump and a replacement oil boiler? No worries, we can offer your quotations for all your options.
3. Cinergi is local! We are just inside the New Forest, about 45 minutes from Arundel.
4. Cinergi engineers have been setting up air source heat pumps for a couple of years now. Some places we have made installations include:
Southampton – Eastleigh – Portsmouth – Winchester – Whiteley – Fareham – Basingstoke – Andover – Romsey – Aldershot – Farnborough- The New Forest – Ringwood
5. We do not work with sub-contractors. All our air source heat pump installations are done by our engineers, so our clients can always be sure of top-quality work.
6. We Care – we’re customer-centric and always strive to provide the best service.
Our Recommended Manufacturers
Here at Cinergi, we do not use a single manufacturer, as a ‘one size fits all’ approach simply does not work in the world of air source heat pumps. When it comes to choosing the right heat pump for you, there are many factors that we must consider….
Samsung EHS (Generation 6)
Available in Monobloc 5 – 16 kW
The Samsung EHS GEN6 is the latest generation in Samsung’s successful range of MCS accredited air source heat pumps, following the Samsung GEN5.
Quickly becoming the go-to air source heat pump, the Samsung EHS GEN6 comes with excellent technical support combined with a competitive price. Useful for most large and small scale installations.
Available in Monobloc and split 3 – 12 kW
The Vaillant ASHP is relatively new to the market and is available in both monobloc and split variants (aroTHERM and aroTHERM Plus). Vaillant are a well known brand in the world on domestic heating and are set to revolutionise the sector with their sleak, modern aesthetic designs.
Available in Monobloc and split 5 – 14 kW
Mistubishi have been in the ASHP industry for years, and are arguably the most popular manufacturer when it comes to domestic installations.
The Mistubishi range comes in a range of sizes and variants, in outputs ranging from 5kW to 14kW, and are available in both monobloc and split variants.
Available in Monobloc and split 5 – 13 kW
Midea are a relatively new name in the world of air source heat pumps, but have already built a strong reputation. Other manufacturers such as Vaillant use Midea internals within their own units.
Midea units tend to be physically lower and wider, and therefore are a favourite for locations with restricted heigh (such as below windows).
After speaking to several heating engineers we decided to go with Cinergi to upgrade our old back boiler for a new Worcester Bosch combi.
We are so glad with our choice and would recommend Ian to anyone. We are delighted with the service we have received, we were never without hot water and he worked in a professional and friendly manner.
Ian’s quote was clear and itemised so we could see exactly what we were spending our money on and he was able to offer us helpful advice on the best solution for us.
We Chose Cinergi to replace our 17 year old boiler, we contacted Ian at Cinergi through the Bosch Worcester accredited installer website with a few other companies.
We had several other companies attend but they wanted to remove some of my decking to install a soakaway buried in the ground with limestone chippings, Ian was the only one who said there was no need for that to be done – he would install a Sentinel condensafe condensate neutraliser.
Ian was very professional, friendly and knowledgeable i would not hesitate to recommend him his workmanship was fantastic.
Cinergi were able to fit a new boiler at short notice with a more than reasonable quote. Ian arrived as scheduled, was very friendly and knowledgeable and got straight on with the job. His workmanship is excellent plus he takes away the old boiler/rubbish, making sure the job is left tidy. During the installation I presented Ian with a separate bit of work, moving a problematic pipe for an existing radiator. He solved the issue with some clever pipework which he was able to hide leaving a perfect finish.
Overall Ian was brilliant at his job and is obviously very experienced and skilled. I would highly recommend him to anybody and we will definitely be using Cinergi in the future.
Let’s discuss your ASHP installation in Arundel
We understand that no two jobs are alike, that is why we treat each project uniquely.
If you have an upcoming project, you can get in touch with us at 0800 321 3142, or alternatively, click the button below to arrange a callback from one of our team at a time that suits you.